It is a myth that most of the elderly are cared for by nursing homes or health care institutions, In fact, 87% of those who need long term care receive that care from unpaid caregivers. That being the case, what can you do to make caregiving easier down the road?
The key word is “plan.”
First, as noted in our previous post, you must determine where to start. Next, learn about estate planning:
- Estate planning documents give the person you choose the power to appoint agents to make decisions when you cannot
- It can avoid guardianship
- It will help control what happens to your assets upon death
- It makes things easier for friends and family
- Even if you have documents, laws change and the documents should be reviewed to determine if any updates are needed; we typically recommend reviews at least every five (5) years